Monday 16 February 2009

Day 1 - the origin





On a day where Guus Hiddink was welcomed into the infamous Chelsea FC, Michael Ballack opened him arms and shook his hand. A sign of cohesion? I'm not so sure...

The weekends 6 nations brought with it new hope for England after a much more assertive performance against the welsh on Saturday. BOD's new found vigour for his beloved Irish was almost as entertaining as the Italian number 9, Paul Griffen's, side burns. But all has been marred by the inevitable news of one of Englands future greats moving over the channel. James Haskells reported £1m 3 year contract could well be the opening of the proverbial floodgates to the riches of France. We shall see.

For those that know me, I am a huge fan of the national anthems. In particular the Welsh (blasphemy I know); its a hell of a song. So my delight was obvious when my lovely girlfriend locked us out of the house - so I missed the first 15 minutes of the game, including my beloved anthems. Que the obligatory valentines day sulk.
Also for those of you 'lucky' enough to know me, you may know my brother. Not one for saying something in 2 words when he could use 10 minutes (the inflication is called totology apparently), we exchanged text messages throughout the game. I recieved no less than 26; here are some of the pearls:

"I tell you something I've not been so up for this match for a long time. Something about the arrogance and expectation these welsh blokes exude. Come on boys!"

"What a half, come on boys!"

"What a dick!"

"Composure. Keep up the defence and trying to play."

"England need to make a change at centre"

"Now need some territory for the next 10"

"These changes need to be right!"

"Bullshit"

"Tindall is shit"

Even with these coaching nuggets of gold which I'm sure Johonno was following on twitter, the boys failed to take the reigns and got nudged out at the death.

On a personal note, this is my new blog. I'll update it as often as new news comes up, although the oval game will most probably feature heavily.

I'll leave my opening post on a high. In the great rhythmical tune of the Kaiser Chiefs 'Ruby':

Gooodey Gooodey Gooodey Gooodey Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah

No comments:

Post a Comment